Sunday, April 26, 2009

Earth Day Hurray!

Before taking this class, I remember I was standing in line at Whole Foods to check out and the patron in front of me asked the grocery clerk if the farmer's market that is held in their parking lot on Tuesdays was a good one. The patron also asked if the store was in support of the farmer's market or found it to be in competition with the store. The grocery clerk admitted she had never been, but heard, the farmer's market was good and that Whole Foods was happy that they set up near them. The patron then said that she can't seem to remember to go the the farmer's market and that shopping at Whole Foods was just the same. The grocery clerk smiled and nodded her head in agreement. Then this class opened the door to the truth and the understanding of what was really happening. I wish I had the knowledge then to correct both people like I do today.
Awareness and knowledge are good things. Sometimes in order to get many people to pay attention we have to make things look fancy, sexy or the "in" thing to do. Like it was talked about in class, we have to sell the idea to the masses. Earth Day, that has been around for a long time, and is getting more recognition and a message is going out. It has become commercialized. It is common to see a t-shirt that has a picture of the earth and says, "reduce, recycle, renew". I was told that Oprah had a show on "earth friendly" products. It a good thing! We need everyone to participate in helping the world clean up and be more efficient before it is really really too late. As long as the the correct information is going out to the public, then Earth Day is a perfect reminder for us all to be more responsible. Sometimes when I can't quite button my pants, it's a good reminder for me to cut back on my calories and pick-up on my exercise. If people need that reminder to stay on track once a year, then it is better than having a dirty world that we can't fit into.

No comments:

Post a Comment