Sunday, April 19, 2009

Virtual Joe Mederios

I hate to admit it but I was one of those people who didn't know much about the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. I remembering hearing the acronym ANWAR and it was in Alaska. I didn't know that it is a 19.6 million acre area and has 18 major rivers and 300 archaeological sites. I didn't know that it was a migratory biomone with 135 migratory bird species from 4 continents go there to nest. Joe let us in on the fact that 36 different fish species are there and 180 different bird species. Lots of animals live here too. Musk Ox, caribou, polar bears, brown bears and black bears are a few larger animals that Joe mentioned that come to the area or live there. Joe told us about the 100 times a year there is an oil spill or leak and it is not a clean operation. It's terrible that they put this area on danger of losing so much natural habitat. It seems here on earth we have lost so much already. Can we afford to causes more damage? I thought it was really interesting how we only receive 16% of our oil from the Persian Gulf. It seems like the government would have you believe we get almost all of our supply from there. I was lead to believe we are at their mercy because they have the oil and we do not. But it turns out that we also have other sources that are not talked about too much, 21% from Africa, 49% from the Western Hemisphere too. I thought Joe's lecture was interesting and something to think about and start talking about and looking into more.

No comments:

Post a Comment